Luke commenced his career in allied health as an acupuncture and Chinese medicine practitioner after graduating from the Sydney Institute of TCM in 1998, followed by a clinical internship at the Guangzhou University TCM Hospital in China.
Luke’s early practice immediately led to a strong interest in the management of neuromusculoskeletal pain and he subsequently completed a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Masters degree in Osteopathy at the University of Western Sydney. He has since fostered a deep regard for the value of scientific research and critical thinking in shaping clinical health care practice and has been particularly influenced by the advances in neuroscience as it continues to deepen our understanding of the interactions between biological, psychological and social factors in determining both health and recovery from illness.
Luke has been involved in health professional regulation at a state and national level, including the development of acupuncture accreditation standards for non-TCM health professionals, and has acted as an external Masters thesis examiner for universities in Australia and New Zealand. Luke has sat on the advisory panel for Chronic Pain Australia and the peer-review panel for two international scientific journals. He has published several research papers, articles and a book chapter on manual and movement therapy treatments for neuromusculoskeletal pain.
In his clinical practice, Luke has a particular interest in patient-centered approaches to osteopathic treatment, with a focus on education to help people take control of their own recovery. He enjoys helping people suffering from chronic, persistent musculoskeletal and neuropathic pain, including chronic spinal disc issues, persistent postural strain, headache and migraine, nerve injuries, and TMJ disorders. He also has significant experience with acute exercise-related joint injuries, especially in yoga practitioners, dancers, and weights/gym trainers.
B.AppSc, M.Osteo, Cert.Acup
- Chronic Pain Association of Australia, Scientific Advisory Panel Member, 2010-15
- Osteopathy Board of Australia, Board Member, 2009-12
- Chiropractic and Osteopaths Board of South Australia, Board Member, 2009-2010
- Australian Osteopathic Council , Board Member, 2009-2010
- Research and Treatment Bulletin, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine (IJOM), 2009-15
- Manuscript peer-reviewer, Manual Therapy Journal, 2009-10
- Manuscript peer-reviewer, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine (IJOM), 2008-12
- External Master’s thesis examiner, Unitec Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand, 2008-10
- External Master’s thesis examiner, Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne, 2008-12
- Research consultant, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, 2008
- Research consultant, Centre Européen d’Enseignement Supérieur de l’Ostéopathie, Paris, 2007-10
- Lucas, N., Macaskill, P., Irwig, L., Moran, R., Rickards, L., Turner, R., Bogduk, N. The reliability of a quality appraisal tool for studies of diagnostic reliability (QAREL) (2013) BMC Medical Research Methodology, 13 (1), art. no. 111.
- Zegarra-Parodi R, Rickards LD, Renard EO. (2011) Measurement of Cranial Palpation Pressures used by Qualified Osteopaths- A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Physical Therapy. 2011;3(2):38-44.
- Rickards LD. Masterclass – Therapeutic needling in osteopathic practice: An evidence-informed perspective. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2009;12:2-13.
- Zegarra-Parodi R, de Chauvigny de Blot P, Rickards LD, Renard EO. Quantifying the effect of a standardized protocol for diagnostic palpation of the fronto-malar suture on palpation pressures used by osteopathy students. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2009;109:79-85.
- McCarthy S, Rickards LD, Lucas N. Using the concept of ideomotor therapy in the treatment of a patient with chronic neck pain: a single system research design. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2007;10:104-112.
- Rickards, LD. The effectiveness of non-invasive treatments for active myofascial trigger point pain: A systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2006;9:120-136.
- Rickards LD. Effectiveness of non-invasive treatments for active myofascial trigger point pain: A systematic review. In: Huijbregts P, Dommerholt J (Eds). Myofascial Trigger Points: Pathophysiology, Evidence-Informed Diagnosis and Management. Boston: Jones & Bartlett; 2009. Clinical Handbook
- Rickards LD, Lucas NP, Moran R. Pain Management Clinical Handbook for Acupuncturists. Auckland: Vertigo; 2010: ISBN 978-0-9806192-7-0
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – The prevalence of shoulder girdle muscles with myofascial trigger points in patients with shoulder pain. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2012;15(1):30.
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – What does local tenderness tell us about the source of cervical pain? International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2011;14(2):68.
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – Treatment expectations and preferences as predictors of outcome of acupuncture for chronic back pain. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2010;13(4):166-8.
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – Diagnosing myofascial trigger points: a critical review of the evidence and clinical implication. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2009;12:42.
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – Sacroiliac joint fusion and the implications for manual therapy diagnosis and treatment. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2008;11:116.
- Rickards LD. Research and treatment bulletin – Reassurance: help or hindrance in the treatment of pain. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2008;11:143.
- Rickards LD. Osteopathic medicine, or alternative medicine. Ostium. Summer, 2005.
- Rickards LD, Lucas NP. Using spontaneous patient-directed movement for the management of chronic neck pain: a single system research design.
- Australian Osteopathic Association
- Australian Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine Association
- Registre Des Ostéopathes de France